10 days old
It's hard to believe but we've now had two kids for four weeks. All of our fabulous help has gone back home and we're all by ourselves now. B is "on vacation" this week, but he's since been to the office twice. I keep telling him that he wouldn't rush back if he were in Vegas, so he should just pretend that he's there instead. Unfortunately the lure of a root canal is just too great for him.
A lot of people have been asking how we're doing, so here's a quick update:
- We're changing at least 10 diapers a day. Apparently swimming around in fluid for 9 months has not made this girl immune to a wet diaper. She gets annoyed by the slightest drop of pee. I guess I can understand that.
- I've been feeling like quite the milk maid given that she likes to eat between 10-12 times a day. At least she's pretty quick about it or else I would feel completely strapped to the couch.
- We've had our first real smiles! It's so awesome to know that she has the ability to smile at something other than gas and poop. She's also started cooing and making some noises other than "Waaaaa". I think she sounds pretty content, so that's good.
- No, we're not sleeping through the night, but we are getting some sleep. The days and nights are a little confused, but not too badly. Thankfully, aside from a few crying jags here and there, S doesn't really fuss when she is awake at night. Mostly she'll just stare and say, "Ba" before she drifts off again.
- She takes after her brother and hates the car seat, but I think she may be warming up to the swing after she took a nap in there yesterday and this morning.
- She loves being in the sling, which is such a blessing because it means that I can get some things done around the house.
- We are so grateful to everyone that has cooked or sent us meals, and especially to my mom, B's mom, and B's cousin L for taking on the roles of J watcher, dish washer, kitchen cleaner, and baby holder while we got used to the idea of taking care of two little ones. I'm still wondering how it will be (other than exhausting) next week when J is off from school and I am completely on my own, but I know we'll manage.
Getting in a little bit of tummy time before heading out her first baseball game
J still likes his sister and enjoys holding her and helping to burp her.
L was a bit nervous holding such a small baby, but she was a pro by the end of the week!
Not sure about the swing...