Thursday, April 02, 2009

Slow Goings

I know there are a few of you who aren't on facebook and are probably wondering what in the world has happened to me. I have neglected you. My J tales have been minimal. I apologize.

I just woke up from a 2.5 hour nap and J is still sleeping, which is great because B has a meeting tonight until about 9, so I'm flying solo tonight. It's been an understatement that I've been tired in the evenings. I'm pretty much tired all of the time. I've been trying to get into the frame of mind that in two months I will probably never get to nap again, or at least, not for a very long time, so I've been trying to make rest a priority over projects. I've been successful about 5 out of 7 days a week. Unfortunately there are some days when I sleep way too long in the daytime and then I am an insomniac at night.

J has been playing the under the shirt game where he tries to fit his head under my shirt and I am supposed to look down at him. It works most of the time, but one day I was wearing a shirt with a higher neckline and he couldn't see me. He declared that his sister was getting fat and that wasn't nice of her. I thought it was sweet that he didn't say I was getting fat. If he keeps up that courtesy, he'll go far with the ladies someday. He also likes putting on his doctor coat from feathernester and wearing a mask and gloves from dad (unused) and checking the baby's heartbeat with his toy stethescope. He's gone to a few doctor's appointments with me and he's really enjoyed watching the doctor use the doppler.

Despite the fact that I expect major regression soon, we're still plugging along with potty training. Ugh. My mother always says that I was horrible and never had any interest, so it seems that J has inherited this quality from me (that and the fact that he's a boy). We've had a few bright moments where he has gone #2 in the potty, but this has only been followed by going in his underwear and even on the floor. I set up a chart with a few rewards that he is really interested in and all I had been hearing for the last few days was, "Maybe another day." Do you know how hard it is to be patient when a kid tells you that? Is he waiting for Christmas to roll around? Perhaps his 7th birthday? Doesn't he know they aren't going to make the Play Dough Spaghetti Factory forever?

I guess the pooping on the floor incident bothered him enough that finally this afternoon he told me he had to poop (only two little drops on the floor. sorry if that grosses you out, but be prepared if you are going to train a child!) and completed the deed where he was supposed to! I was thrilled, he was thrilled, we put stickers on his chart. Let's see if we can do it again later.

We had a lovely visit a few weeks ago with the feathernesters and ouisers on our first trip out to TN. Feathernesters were kind enough to help a preggo out and give up their bedroom for our visit. I also took home my weight in baby girl clothes, which was so much fun. I think dressing a girl is going to take some getting used to. With a boy you just slap on a t shirt and some jeans and you're done. I imagine wanting to do the same for the girl, but everyone tells me you just can't. We'll see. I foresee the biggest problem being shoes, so I hope the husband is prepared for the fact that she will have more than J does in that department.

In an effort to make things fair for both siblings in as many ways as possible, my dad is coming in for the weekend and we're going to the Springsteen concert on Sunday. J also attended one of his shows in utero and I think that is one of the reasons he is so muscially inclined. Who knows if she will love it or hate it. Either way, I am very excited.

So I think that's all there is to report for now. We're trying to get things ready, but it's happening very slowly. Snails pace slowly, people. One of us thinks we have two months while the other thinks everything needed to be finished yesterday. Does anyone want to bet on who's who in that debate? I know, it's probably pretty obvious.

I'll try to post some cute pics of J sometime soon, but remember that my naps come before picture downloads for now.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Not to encourage J to slack off on the potty-training, but I'm pretty sure they plan to make the Play Dough Spaghetti Factory forever, given the fact that it was around back when we were kids!

Good luck with everything!