Monday, April 07, 2008

This Should Be Interesting

B and I are going to Vancouver on Wednesday for the American Association of Endodontists conference. We're both members (yup, I got my card last week-- Auxiliary member, but who's checking?). We'll be gone until late on Monday. For those of you with kids that's six whole days that J will be babysat. Grandma arrives this afternoon and Grandpa brings the reinforcements on Saturday. I don't think I'm nervous about being away from J for six days; Lord knows I could use a break, but that doesn't mean I don't worry that my parents won't get driven crazy by the whining about where mommy and daddy are that they never agree to watch him again. I know, the chances of them doing that are very slim, but I am very appreciative of long term childcare and don't want to wear out the welcome mat too soon. With the busy wedding travel season commencing shortly after this trip, I need to make sure the babysitters are happy.

J is used to his routine. Part of that routine, as I have mentioned before, is whining about when Daddy will come home. What do you say when he asks on Thursday? Wait 5 more days kid? B says it's even worse when I go out that almost every 10 minutes or so he asks to make sure that I'm coming back. Thank goodness there is wine for after he goes to bed.

So I thought it might be a good idea to get him thinking about the fact that B and I are taking a trip into his head. When he was younger we didn't make a big deal of it because he couldn't ask where we were. He knows that Grandma is coming tomorrow and that Mommy is going on a trip. Here's where it gets sticky. When he asks if Daddy is going on a trip and I say yes, he bursts into tears. Lip quivering, flood gate tears. I feel so bad. I know that G/G will be spoiling him rotten and he will probably forget all about us, but it feels like it's going to be tough for at least a little while on both of us. Like I said, it should be interesting.

If anyone is wondering why I became a member of the AAE, no, I am not going into dentistry, but I thought it might be interesting to take a few classes on practice management and marketing so that I can help B out one day when he has his own practice. Since I know next to nothing, I've got a lot to learn.

Other things of late that should be interesting? My garden. I went to the garden store on Friday just for tomato plants. I came home with six (which could feed the whole neighborhood if they all do well, but I am assuming that some will not make it). I also came home with peppers, squash, zucchini, strawberries, lavender, basil, oregano, carrots, green beans, sunflowers, peppermint, and cucumbers. Everything was planted this weekend and now we just have to wait a good 50-60 days to see how it all goes. If it goes well, the good news is that we can plant another round in August for a fall harvest. That's a definite perk of living in TX.

Well there's packing and cleaning to be done and J just woke up. Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

feather nester said...

I'm sure J will do great; although, I can totally imagine why you're an eensy bit stressed about it. I can't imagine leaving the Lilliputian for that long, but that's at least partially do to the nightmare of nursing logistics that would accompany such a lengthy absence.

I'm so sad for him that he cries when you talk about it! How heartbreaking! I've learned I have a low tolerance for the tears, from my kiddo and others.

Congrats on the burgeoning garden! I, too, went to Lowe's for just basil and maybe one or two other windowsill herbs this week. I now have eight herbs, some gerbers, and verbena, all planted in containers. Some indoor some out. I'll post pics soon. I hope at least one of us has a green thumb! Good luck!