Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad's Day

Father's Day was pretty relaxing around here. Nothing says "I love you, Dad" better than a couple of pieces of bacon and the sports section delivered to your bedside after sleeping in until past 9. J gave B a tractor card. Actually, he gave it to him on Thursday when we brought it home from the store and he couldn't hold in his excitement as he shouted, "I bought you a card, Daddy. With a big TRACTOR! It's green! It's green Daddy! I bought it Daddy! For you!" Then as we gave B his present (a couple of cds) he said, "I will give Daddy his present. Maybe I can play with it. Probably it is a fire truck." I told him it wasn't a fire truck. "Yeah, probably it is a lollipop. I will eat it." I told him it wasn't a lollipop either. "Yeah, I will give the present to Daddy and I will play with it. It's not for J. Maybe I can play with it. Probably." Have you noticed how the word probably is used to exhibit his extreme confidence in whatever he is saying? It really is quite comical.

B sports the "tie" J made for him at school. He also gave him a picture frame that said, "I love my Daddy." All of this, of course, made Mommy weepy. Pathetic, but true.

We had a BBQ later in the day so the dads could celebrate Father's Day together. Our friend T commented at one point that he thought the service was so great-- lots of meat and margaritas served tableside-- that he was a little concerned that "you women might be expecting reciprocal treatment that I just can't come through with on Mother's Day." We told him not to worry; that's why jewelry is always appreciated.

I can block the carcinogens with one big sip from this margarita glass

The kids had a great time running around in the backyard, in the house, and at the park. At one point, they all decided to have a little exploratory trip to the garden. It's so funny because they still don't really play with each other that much yet, but when one person gets an idea, the others follow like it was the best plan all along. I did feel the need to apologize to J's teacher this morning because his dinner fare last night included a hot dog bun, some noodles, an ice cream sandwich, and blueberries. Then he didn't want to eat his breakfast this morning, so I can't imagine he will be full of too much energy today.

The evening ended with J, Z, and S taking a bath together and playing in the crib for just a few quick seconds. K and I read Z and J some bedtime stories and they were both indicating that they wanted to sleep in J's crib. So we put them in the crib, turned off the lights, and crying ensued immediately from both parties. We knew it was a longshot, but it would have been so nice if they actually had fallen asleep and let us parents hang out just a little bit longer after sundown. Maybe in a few years.

Rub a Dub Dub, Three Cuties in the Tub

4 comments:

die Frau said...

Happy Father's Day!

There is something timeless about the bathtub shot. I just love it.

feather nester said...

Glad you had such a great day! J and his friends are adorable.

Pam said...

Sounds like you all had a great Father's Day. Loved the "3cuties in the tub".

Ouiser said...

okay. the three cuties are cute. i don't deny that, but that tie is just about the best thing i've ever seen. i'm desperately hoping it makes an appearance this weekend!!