Thursday, February 05, 2009

Entering the Kingdom of Threedom

The third birthday will be upon us tomorrow, followed by a party on Saturday. I see lots of cake eating in our future because there will be cupcakes at school, most likely followed by extra cupcake eating at home, and a tractor cake on Saturday. I'll try to get some veggies in there somehow. I'm hoping that turning three makes J happy, unlike last year when he woke up angry at the world for turning two.

How would I wrap up the year of two?
  • with a big sigh and a nap. It's been a whirlwind of a year for all of us. Pregnant or not, it's been tiring.
  • Faster talking, faster walking/running, faster manipulation time
  • whining that often becomes conniving
  • laughing that is incredibly infectious
  • opinions that are strongly expressed ("Those aren't the rules, Mommy!")
  • the use of words like "actually, in fact, finally, eventually, suddenly, after all". Sometimes I feel like this kid could have his own instructional tv show.
  • the development of logic that is completely clear and at the same time, completely fuzzy
  • the acquisition of knowledge about almost every percussion instrument
  • wrapping paper tubes can be guitars, bass, banjos, and even mandolins
  • singing a song is a great way to ignore your parents when they request you clean up
  • my kid cannot be in a car without music--preferably his music
  • potty training is evil with boys
  • he tries to show kindness and empathy to everyone he meets. One day this will break his heart (and mine). One day this will make him extremely happy.
  • testing his parents and others became an interesting part-time job
  • his imagination has grown immensely. Sometimes this makes me realize how narrow minded I have become with age.
  • he still loves to read (yes!)
  • he loves to travel
  • he's a boy and seems to be really good with directions in the car
  • he recognizes Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen
  • he loves when other people come to visit and hates when they leave
  • he asks adults if they have no food in front of them if they would like some of his
  • a recall of events sometime later which makes me ask, "How do you remember that?"
  • milk is the only thing he will use as a dip for food. Sometimes this is appropriate and other times this is completely disgusting. Carrots and milk anyone?
A completely random list and there's plenty more. Like I said last year, we still haven't broken him and he still wakes up happy to see us in the morning. That is something for which I am incredibly grateful.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Boy. Keep on strumming and singing.



See ya later, two!

3 comments:

rb said...

Happy Birthday Jonah! That is a FANTASTIC photo. I need to come see a child who "loves when people visit" - as opposed to visiting my 3-yr old nephew a couple of weeks ago, who pouted and yelled to his mother upon our arrival, "I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T WANT THEM TO COME HERE!!!" And we were delivering belated Xmas gifts, no less! :(

die Frau said...

How did he get to three already? I can't believe it. Happy birthday, J!

If you want to laugh your head off regarding potty training, go over to amalah.com and read one of her most recent posts regarding just that...and the comments. Sounds like you'll appreciate it.

I'm also glad he recognizes two important American icons: The Boss and the President. That's all anyone needs, really.

feather nester said...

I know the Husband talked to yours this morning and expressed our apologies, but really, there's no excuse for not calling. Maybe there is. I don't know. I'm just now able to sit up for the first time. This is the problem with wifes being the only ones to remember anything: when they're down for the count, there's only so much slack the Husband can pick up without instruction. I think he's been feeding her nothing but graham crackers and pedialyte.

Anyway, this is a great post, and a great picture. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, J! Your presents are coming, as soon as I have the energy to drive to the post office. We love you!