Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!




J and I tried to make Father's Day as relaxing as we could for Daddy. We started off this morning by giving him some extra time to sleep. J and I headed to the grocery store as soon as it opened because I decided I wanted to cook breakfast instead of going out. We picked up what we needed (all but the New York Times-- apparently Texas is too far away to get that in all of the stores... I was pretty bummed about that) and headed home to prepare.


J played with some spices in the pantry while I mixed up the batter for crepes. Then I got some bacon cooking and got a tray ready with a mimosa and french crueller (not homemade, but B loves them from anywhere). J carried the gift bag while I had the tray and we woke up Daddy. He was surprised by the service, but was more surprised that he had slept about 10 hours. He loved his token grill tool (a large spatula-- What's Father's Day without a big grill tool?) We also got him a book called I LOVE DADDY BECAUSE... and a gift certificate to a barber shop in Austin (he's been dying for a good cut and a shave). We sat down to a yummy breakfast of crepes, berries, bacon and mimosas (plural until my placemat slipped and my glass broke... now we only have one wedding flute left Oops. Glad it wasn't Waterford!)


In the morning we took a walk at a local duck pond. There are so many varieties of ducks there. J almost ended up in the water because he has no fear and just kept on going. Thank goodness B wasn't too far behind. J loved seeing all of the ducks and yelling, "DUCK DUCK!" as he made the sign for duck at the same time.


We spent a nice time this afternoon at a local park. I love this park because there is plenty of shade and J is mesmerized by all of the gravel rocks. He loves to pick them up in his bucket. We could spend hours here. Today, J decided he wanted to eat one, and he swallowed it before I could get it out. So, we'll be on poop patrol for the next few days to make sure it didn't get in his lungs. F-U-N!
Who do you think was having more fun at the park?


For dinner we decided to grill some scallops, shrimp, mini peppers, and sirloin burgers. We also cooked up some balsamic onions, which have become a staple whenever we have burgers. They're so easy, but it always amazes me how much onion you lose as you cook them down. J also loves these onions. For dessert, we grilled some peaches and strawberries that were basted in a little balsamic vinegar. I didn't grill these long enough because they were falling off the skewers. Next time I have to play with them less and just be patient.


The day ended with a light rainshower and a beautiful rainbow afterwards! I think it was a pretty successful Father's Day. J is so lucky to have B for a daddy. We look forward to many Happy Father's days together!

No comments: