Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Let Downs/Too Good to Be True

DS took a three hour nap today, which is unheard of in this house! I resisted the temptation to go in and check on him because I knew that the door would wake him up (cheap paint). Instead, I decided to try to be productive and get a lot done during that time. I vacuumed, did the laundry, dishes, swept, picked up and then busy with customer service representatives. I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with various people-- insurance companies, education departments, accounting offices-- and got NOWHERE! How frustrating. I waited on hold for nearly an hour with a state ed. dept. only to get disconnected (I swear, there is someone on the other end who knows you have limited time and just when it's your turn, they hit a button to make you disappear by "accident"). I can only hope he takes a long nap tomorrow so I can try it all again.

DH and I were excited this weekend when we came across a sign on someone's lawn that said "Christina's Babysitting". I called her yesterday to see if she could babysit this Thursday (we were invited to a dinner and weren't sure if we could go). She sounded really sweet and was prepared to bring over references today and to meet DS. I was so excited because DH and I haven't been out alone other than when relatives have been in town to watch DS. Alas, things did not go as planned today. The babysitter was supposed to come at 5:30 and she called to tell me that her mother wasn't home yet and she couldn't get a hold of her (she's a nurse). She said she would still be able to come by tonight when her mom came home, though. I thought it was responsible of her to call, but kind of wanted her to meet DS so I could see how she interacted with him. At about 7, I got a call from babysitter's mom telling me that they were on their way to our house, but her daughter was complaining of not feeling well and from her symptoms, mom thinks she has appendicitis! As I am talking to mom, I hear, "No honey, not here, I'll pull over if you need to throw up!" Needless to say, mom was taking her to a clinic to get checked out and we don't have a babysitter for tomorrow after all. This means I can't go to this dinner and DH has to go alone. Bummer!! I also feel bad for babysitter. I hope we can meet her sometime.

Today's events have put me in somewhat of a blah mood. I need to work out, but I told DH to go out instead because he had a rough day at work. I guess I'll read or something. I could use a good chat with a friend, but most likely I'll just reach their voicemail. Okay, gonna go before I totally bum everyone out!

No comments: