Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Thank You, Thank You Very Much

Why is it that my almost 20 month old can sign thank you to the cashier every time we are in a store without prompting (I think he hears me say thank you and then signs to participate), but the three grown-ups I waved on today at separate stop signs cannot offer the same courtesy? This drives me absolutely crazy; not just in the car, but anywhere. Is it too difficult to put your hand up as a gesture of gratitude as you pass by?
Or how about this... You almost have a head on collision with someone turning the corner in the grocery store. You say excuse me. They keep going. Ugh! You offer another person the chance to get ahead of you in line because they have way fewer items than you. And they barge ahead without a word. Or when you hold a door for someone, with child in tow and not only do they not say thank you, but they just walk through the door without grabbing it! What is it with people these days? This didn't all happen today, but it happens much more often than it should. Were these people never taught manners when they were younger, or have they just become so numb to the world and their actions that they don't even know what they are doing? I'm sure these people are just busy like the rest of us, but it's the little things that make a big difference. And not using simple manners just makes me so mad! Not publicly mad-- I mean it would be so easy to just yell at all of them and tell them how rude they are, but that would be just adding to the problem. It makes me even more determined to raise a polite, sensitive child who understands that it doesn't take much of an effort to be just that if you really think about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey sweets! It is always great to hear of your adventures,,, and thanks so much for the pic's of M!

and yes,, random acts of unkindness and rudeness seem to be much too frequent these days,,, tho I think that it depends on lots of things... Like place, weather, etc ets... i.e.,,I always thought that midwestern drivers were much ruder than northwesters drivers....

Ouiser said...

Trust me, the rudeness exhibited by the general population grates on my nerves. I, too, become seriously frustrated at no acknowledgment of being nice in traffic and the grocery. I actually worry that people can't see me give "the wave" in our car. Even better...I offered to carry an elderly woman's tray to the trash at lunch today (because not only was she old as the dirt, but she also had a cane) and she didn't say thank you. She probably assumed I worked there, but still.

Keep on smiling and being polite...even if everyone else sucks:)

feather nester said...

Must be a ranting mood in the air
(see my post, which is ranting on a much less worthwhile topic)...

I always felt after moving out of NY state that the drivers there were so much nicer than anywhere else. How come no other state can grasp the concept of getting out of the right lane, when possible, to give the drivers coming from the on-ramp some space to merge?!?