Friday, February 22, 2008

Testing 1, 2, 3

We haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Things have just been a little out of sorts lately. For one, J has decided that two year olds do not need to sleep through the night anymore and has spent a good part of the week waking up at 1, 3, 5, 6. At first we thought he might have something, so we tended to it, but now it's a habit (hooray!) and we feel like we have a newborn again. Oddly, he woke up at 9:15 the other night yelling, "J kick feet! J kick feet! Poop! J kick feet! Poop" I think he adds the poop thing just to get us to come running, but there was no poop. He was kicking his legs in the air for fun. I'm sure this is just another fabulous phase.

Some good lines he's had lately are:
Me: Would you like some blueberries?
J: Yes. How-a-bout-raspberries-too?
(It cracks me up how he is turning into such a mini-me.)

J: Tweetle beetle puddle battle...That's-pretty-funny!
(After reading Fox in Socks, which if you don't remember, is one of the longest, silliest books created. And it's even longer when you have to read it slowly and after one reading, your kid knows when you've skipped a page...)

B: The steak is good. Do you like the steak, J?
J: Yeah. Mommy not good eater.
Me: Why?
J: Mommy not eating broccoli.
(I did eat my broccoli, but at that moment, I was chewing on some steak and we had just begged J to eat some of his broccoli, which he did.)


I've got some big fun lined up for this weekend. Tomorrow I have to spend the day taking some teaching tests. You know, tests for beginning teachers. Tests like the 4 I took in NY and the 8 I took in PA to teach there. Texas has decided that my 8 years of experience, and the tests taken in states with which they supposedly have reciprocal agreements, is not enough. I need to take 4 more tests to make them happy and get permanent certification here. I already had to shell out a bunch of cash to get a temporary certificate for this year (even though I am not using it, I wanted to have it just in case) and now I have to shell out about another $400 to make it all legal. Such fun. I know that licenses cost money and I guess that's okay, but what gets me is that these tests are for beginning teachers and even then they do not measure whether you can actually teach or not. I hate jumping through hoops and I am a little tired of jumping because this is my third time doing this. I know, I know, we moved here, so I have to reap what I sow, but it's such a pain. Oh well. 2 tests tomorrow and 2 in April, and hopefully that will be it.

Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

die Frau said...

Ech, good luck on the tests! I have to do some more, too, since I got my certification after they changed the rules in NY and now there is no more permanent certification. Whee....

I dislike hoops as well, and I'm jumping through a ton right now, so I feel for you! I'm sure it will all go well.

Ouiser said...

it's insane to me that they make it so difficult to teach. i mean, you want to teach, you have degrees and certifications and the whole shebang, and then they expect you, a teacher, who will likely be grossly underpaid to continually shell out cash for them to tell you that you are capable of having a job? i'd be pulling my hair out. teachers are saints.