Sunday, July 09, 2006

Strongmama is here!

After months of DH trying to convince me to write, and after seeing some fun pages of my SIL's blog, I have finally decided to start my own. I wasn't really sure what to call my blog, but since these entries will no doubt include updates on my little guy, I figured this is as good as anything. Note that the address is opposite of the name because it appears that strongmama already exists in another language blog. Oh well.

DH is off watching the finals of the World Cup (I'm glad that's almost over), and DS is taking a nap. Other than the rumbling of the dryer, there is silence in the house. I like it when I can just sit and think about things and now I am just trying to figure out what I should write about.

Since I mentioned the dryer, this would probably be a good time to tell you that I am thrilled with my washer and dryer. After four and a half years of marriage and three moves, it was pregnancy that finally convinced DH that we could own our own. I can't imagine having to go to the laundromat or down to a communal basement with a baby. I know that plenty of people do it, but it would make me very cranky. Now that we have our own, I do the laundry all of the time. No complaints or grumbles; it just goes in and we go about our business. That's the way laundry should be.

When I decided I would stay home with DS I knew there would be housework involved, but I never thought I would become this much of a domestic. I look forward to vacuuming (two white cats give us plenty--thanks, Zen and Zoe) and emptying the dishwasher, cooking dinner, running errands. I guess when your life changes for the better, you are more able to accept things that you once despised.

DS is amazing. I always observed how happy my friends are with their kids, but there aren't words to describe how lucky I feel every day when I wake up to his coos on the montior, go into his bedroom, look in his crib, and see a bright-eyed, smiling face peering back at me. It's as if for a brief moment, the world stops and we just stare and welcome each other to the day that awaits us. Even the smell of a dirty diaper can't ruin this moment!

It also makes us laugh when we think about how much DH and I talk about poo on a daily basis now. Did he poop today? What color was it? Was there a lot or a little? I never took an interest in such things. Now we sing songs when we hear one coming or when we go to change that messy diaper. I don't think I ever said "good job" as much when I taught as I do now for burps and poops! Change can be wonderful.

So I'll leave you with those thoughts for today. The monitor is starting to make some noise, which means DS is waking from his nap. It's time to go change that diaper and go out for a walk. I hope you enjoy reading my blog from time to time!

No comments: